Petronas team star driver Lewis Hamilton is going to miss out the Sakhir Grand Prix after he tested positive for the Coronavirus. According to him, he very “devastated” by the news.
The seven-time world champion revealed that he had returned three negative tests this week only for the fourth one to come back positive which rules him out for the upcoming race.
Lewis Hamilton is now in self-isolation for the next 10 days and he is said to be in his hotel room. The positive test could also side-line him out for the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Hamilton took to social media to let his fans know that he was ‘devastated’ about the news and not being able to take part in the Sakhir Grand Prix.
“I’m devastated that I won’t be racing this weekend”, Hamilton said in a post on social media. “Since we started the season in June my team and I have been taking all the precautions we possibly can and following the regulations everywhere we have been in order to stay safe.
“Unfortunately, even though I returned three negative results this past week, I woke up yesterday morning with mild symptoms and requested another test which came back positive. I have immediately gone into self-isolation for 10 days.
“I am gutted not to be able to race this weekend but my priority is to follow the protocols and advice to protect others. I am really lucky that I feel OK with only mild symptoms and will do my best to stay fit and healthy.
“Please look after yourselves out there, you can never be too careful. These are worrying times for everyone and we need to make sure we are looking after ourselves and each other.”
Lewis Hamilton is going to miss the Sakhir Grand Prix and probably a few others
After Hamilton tested positive for Covid-19, there are chances that the world champion may miss out on the final race of the campaign in Abu Dhabi next weekend as the F1 championship comes to its final phases.
Due to strict Covid-19 rules in Abu Dhabi, all personnel involved in the F1 event must travel from Bahrain on 7 December. Yas Island, where the race is being staged on 13 December, will then effectively be locked down.
With Bahrain laws dictating Hamilton must quarantine for 10 days, it is anticipated that the world champion will not be eligible to fly until 9 December at the earliest.
After winning the championship title last month, Hamilton becomes the third Formula 1 driver to have contracted the illness.
Sergio Perez missed the British and 70th Anniversary Grands Prix at Silverstone in August, while his Racing Point team-mate Lance Stroll also tested positive following October’s Eifel Grand Prix in Germany.
Sunday’s race will be the first Hamilton has missed since his debut at the 2007 season-opening race in Australia.
Also read: Football Legend Diego Maradona Dies At 60
Author: Allan Bangirana
Allan Bangirana is a freelance writer for Newslibre & Spur Magazine. He is passionate about tech, games and occasionally writes about entertainment, lifestyle and so much more.