Yesterday, Uganda’s oldest public university Makerere found itself in a dilemma when one of its iconic main buildings were set ablaze in a gruesome fire that left behind vast damage.
Ugandans were in total shock when videos started circulating around the web showing the Makerere University main building, known as the Ivory Tower on fire. The cause of the fire hasn’t yet been established yet.
It should be noted that the Ivory tower houses a number of sensitive offices such as the office of the Vice-Chancellor, Audit and finance offices, and knowing how the system operates, several students might find themselves facing issues since most of the important documentation may have been destroyed.
What’s even more shocking is that this was the second fire. Reports indicate that the fire brigade had managed to put out the first fire but everything turned dark when a second one broke out.
The origin of the fire that gutted down Makerere University is still considered a mystery with different versions of explanations being laid out to shed light on what actually happened. The second fire that broke out later on Sunday evening affected the southern wing of the same building after the first fire.
According to Hassan Kihanda, deputy director of Fire and Rescue services, the second fire was caused by reignition of the debris from the first fire. Kihanda said the second fire was easily put out by the police and there was no cause for alarm despite social media reports that police had already left the scene by the time of the second fire.
“It was a reignition, of course, if you put out a fire and do not remove the burnt debris…it can cause fire where you had not put another fire before,” Kihanda said.
Makerere University iconic Ivory Tower building set ablaze
According to the Observer, the first fire occurred in the three-quarters of the main building which is suspected to have begun from the public relations office based on the official reports following a closed-door meeting.
The ministry of Education permanent secretary, Alex Kakooza, revealed that preliminary findings point to the fire having been started in the ceiling of the public relations office that was located in the right-wing on the topmost floor.
Watch video of Makerere University fire
Author: Allan Bangirana
Allan Bangirana is a freelance writer for Newslibre & Spur Magazine. He is passionate about tech, games and occasionally writes about entertainment, lifestyle and so much more.